Release Wanaka: Mission WOW Women’s Packages
Women’s Ski Touring Retreat Package
5 Nights / August 28 – September 2, 2013
Release Wanaka and Mission WOW have joined forces to offer you a package that is sure to meet your desire for both luxury and adventure. You’ll develop a skiing technique to be proud of. You’ll be nourished with wholesome meals and delicious treats. You’ll be soothed and restored with personalized yoga classes. You’ll be pampered with a relaxing massage. And finally, you’ll return home recharged, inspired and with a heap of new skills and new friends to boot.
This is an off-piste ski touring retreat designed by women, for women. This course is designed for women interested in refining technique, building off-piste confidence, developing backcountry awareness and taking your skiing to the next level. Given the nature of the terrain it is essential to have a descent fitness level, the ability to hike uphill, link turns on a blue run [intermediate] confidently and have a positive I’ll try anything attitude. You will develop your off-piste skiing form, learn efficient uphill skinning technique, safe route selection, avalanche awareness, transceiver use, navigation and all the skills needed for backcountry skiing. The foundation of this retreat is built around learning these new skills. If you consider yourself an intermediate (or above) on-piste skier this retreat is perfect for you.
We have chosen to limit the numbers for this exclusive retreat as a way to ensure that everyone get the most out of this rare experience. You will have the opportunity to connect and spend time with other adventurous, like-minded women in one of the most beautiful settings in the world. During the retreat you will be encouraged, entertained and inspired by well-known Wanaka women.
28th / Wednesday
- Afternoon: arrival
- Meet and greet at Queenstown airport
- Broken Shed cocktails
29th / Thursday
- Morning: Introduction/warm up morning to off-piste
- Afternoon: Develop off-piste skiing technique
- Return to the lodge and enjoy some downtime
- Evening: Restorative Yoga
30th / Friday
- All day: Continue with off-piste skiing technique development
- Return to the lodge and enjoy some downtime
- Evening: Restorative Yoga
- Dinner with special guest(s)
31st / Saturday
- All day: Introduction to backcountry touring
- Evening: Restorative Yoga
- Local Wine Night with Maude, Rippon and Terra Sancta
1st / Sunday
- Early morning: Restorative Yoga
- All day: Backcountry touring
- Evening: Massage
- Farewell Dinner
2nd / Monday
- Departure from Queenstown airport
We are also super-excited about the team of women that is coming together for this event. Since we feel like we are only as good as the people we surround ourselves with, we are pretty confident about how incredible this Women’s Ski Touring Retreat is going to be. Check out a sampling of our team below:
ANNA COOK is blessed with an inquisitive mind. Her interests range from the Himalaya to surfing, photography and snow science. She is one of the most experienced female ski guides in the world with her time spent between working heli-skiing in New Zealand and the Indian Himalayas. She also stays busy fitting in mountain bike and ski tours in India with her own company Hidden Himalaya. She is in charge of snow safety for Harris Mountains Heliskiing and is an accomplished photographer with credits in various outdoor magazines. Despite all this, what seems to interest Anna most are people. She loves to meet new people and share experiences. Walking with Anna the time flies by as the conversation ranges from understanding the weather to holistic medicine and trying to get the light just right to photograph an alpine flower.
WENDY SMITH – It was in New Zealand in 1985 that Wendy Smith made her first skydive. Little did she know that that one jump would shape her life so significantly. Now, with more than 19,875 skydives under her belt, Wendy has advanced to such an elite level, earning herself World and Guinness records as well as Emmy Awards for unbelievable remote filming and aerial cinematography. Wendy was one of the first three skydivers to free-fall above Mount Everest at a record height of 9000m. Her passion for aviation and the mountains fits very well here in Wanaka. She recently climbed to 6500 meters in the Himalayas and finds that Wanaka is an amazing training ground for all sports – summer and winter.
DAME SUKHINDER ‘Sukhi’ TURNER was born in India and grew up in an Indian Sikh family. She graduated from Bethany College, West Virginia, USA with a BA in History and Political Science. She moved to New Zealand after marrying Glenn Turner, a prominent cricketer, in July 1973. They permanently settled in Dunedin in 1982 and have two adult children. Sukhi and Glenn now live in Wanaka. In the past 30 years, Dame Sukhi has been part of a wide range of community work, focusing particularly on education and politics. In 1992, she successfully stood for election to the Dunedin City Council. After three years on Council she was elected Mayor; an office she held for 9 years. Among many other awards, in early 2004 she was among the recipients of the Pravasi Bhyaratiya Samman, an award given by the Indian government to honour those who have made a significant contribution to Indian immigrant communities in other countries. Her interests include having quality time with her granddaughter, reading, health and nutrition, exercising, tramping and cycling.
JO GUEST is Scottish born and bred but has made Wanaka, NZ her home for over 12 years. Jo the founder and director of Mission WOW events and will be your main host and guide on this retreat. When asked, Jo shares that she often feels like she created ‘a creature’ and, instead of sensibly taming it, she keeps feeding it with more events. Mission WOW has continued to grow and adapt since 2009, challenging her in directions she never knew existed. Mission WOW was born out of a need for a supportive environment for women to learn and challenge themselves in. She wanted to share what and how she had learnt on bike, skis or surfboard, by introducing inspiring coaches to help her translate it to women so that they could enjoy it as much as we do. Jo is an active sort, with energy to burn. On snow, dirt, lakes or oceans, with good people to share it with, she is in her element in the outdoors. Combining the great outdoors with community and building connections with like-minded people is Jo’s modus operandi. She often says, “It’s the connections we have with different people that enrich our life.”
5 Night Snow Touring package
August 28 – September 2, 2013
Spaces limited to 12 women
Prices from: NZD 4,950.00*
*Pricing (includes all taxes) is per person.
- 5 nights stay at a luxury local lodge (twin share)
- Includes an intentionally designed daily menu to nourish and fuel your body
- Daily chef service of breakfast, packed lunch and full dinner service. All food is seasonal and sourced locally.
- Welcoming cocktail social with drinks from a local distillery – Broken Shed Vodka
- Private wine tasting/pairing night showcasing three Wanaka wineries – Maude, Rippon and Terra Sancta
- Lift passes for the duration of the package dates
- 4 days ski instruction and backcountry guiding
- Coached sessions and instruction on transceiver searches, touring techniques and moving safely in the back-country
- High–end ski equipment supplied
- All shuttles and airport transfers
- Daily yoga classes (4 total)
- 1 x 1 hour massage per person
- Local inspirational women as special dinner guests
Release Wanaka: Mission WOW will hereinafter be known as RW:MW. “We” refers to RW:MW. “You”, “your”, “their” refers to the guest booking the RW:MW retreat. “Cancellation” is defined as not attending your scheduled RW:MW retreat.
1) A 25% deposit is required at the time of booking to hold a space for you on the retreat. In the case of cancellations the deposit is non-refundable.
2) Payment of your deposit indicates your agreement to RW:MW’s cancelation policy.
3) Payment of the balance is due 90 days prior to your trip commencement date.
We can accept payment directly via Bank Transfer to our bank account:
06 0943 0081950 01
|Account Name:||Release NZ:MissionWOW|
|Bank:||ANZ Bank (58-60 Ardmore Street, Wanaka, New Zealand)|
Guest Cancellation Policy
1) Cancellations outside of 90 days will result in the loss of the trip deposit.
2) For cancellations made within 89 – 60 days of the trip commencement date we reserve the right to retain 50% of the full fee.
3) For cancellations within 59 days of the departure date a cancellation fee of 100% of the full fee applies.
4) Due to the tailor-made nature of our packages and retreats, we do not offer the option to postpone, reschedule or credit your reservation.
5) It is your responsibility to read and understand our cancellation policy before making a reservation. Naturally, no one books a retreat with the intention of cancelling or postponing, but unexpected things do happen. We highly recommend purchasing travel insurance to protect from unforseen circumstances.
RW:MW Cancellation Policy
1) While we have never cancelled a retreat to date, in the event it becomes necessary to cancel (insufficient numbers, inclement weather, unforseen circumstances) you will receive a refund of all monies paid to RW:MW without delay. RW:MW is not responsible for your expenses incurred in preparation for any cancelled retreat, such as airline tickets, loss of work, and/or other costs associated with preparing for your trip.
2) Depending on the policy and conditions, travel cancellation insurance will pay for some or all cancellation fees. With most agencies, insurance must be purchased within 14 days of making your reservation. Again, we strongly recommend purchasing cancellation insurance through your travel agent.
We have partnered up with Racers Edge, powered by R&R Sports, to offer one more reason to book your holiday now.
Get in touch with us now to take advantage of this great offer!Contact Release Wanaka
To complete your Release Wanaka: Mission WOW Package
Simply fill out and submit the enquiry form in the sidebar on this page. Please note that spaces are limited to twelve (12) women.